- This event has passed.
CO-OP / Apprenticeship Opportunity Heavy Equipment Technician
December 19, 2017 - January 3, 2018
Greenstone Gold Mines, KKETS and Toromont CAT are pleased to partner to offer a co-op / apprenticeship opportunity as a Heavy Equipment Technician for Long Lake #58 First Nation Band Members.
The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to train with trusted Toromont Technicians in support of a steady progression towards a Licensed Technician position in order to safely and effectively diagnose and repair our customer’s Caterpillar equipment in a timely manner and while ensuring positive customer relations.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Participate in safe, environmentally sound and healthy work behaviours and practices at all times in support of Toromont’s Health and Safety Policy/Programs and best practices
- Participate in the diagnosing of mechanical, electrical, electronic and other issues on Caterpillar equipment using testing equipment
- Assist in the repair of Caterpillar equipment for our customers in a timely and effective manner
- Prepare service reports and service documentation in an accurate and timely manner
- Ensure internal and external customer requirements are met in an efficient, knowledgeable and professional manner
SKILLS, COMPETENCIES, QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be a member of Long Lake #58 First Nation
- Ability or demonstrated aptitude to read and understand prints, drawings and technical bulletins
- Customer service oriented with the ability to establish and maintain customer relationships
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be focused, show attention to detail and committed to quality
- A motivated team player who can work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledgeable with computers and computer programs
- Willing and able to work flexible hours in support of the business needs
- A valid Driver’s License and current clean Driver’s Abstract
- An updated Police Criminal Records Check
EDUCATION (must meet minimum admission requirements for Motive Power Techniques – Heavy Equipment
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (or equivalent) with courses from the College (C), University (U), University/College (U/C), or Open (O) preparation levels with Grade 12 English (C/U) Level.
- orsuccessful completion of the Mature Student Assessment.
- orsuccessful completion of the General Education Development Test (GED).
- orappropriate credits from the Academic and Career Entrance program (ACE).
Other course requirements:
Grade 11 MCF3M Functions and Applications, or MCR3U Functions, or Grade 12 MAP4C Foundations for College Math, or MCT4C Mathematics for College Technology or University Preparation, (successful candidate must be willing to complete before September 28, 2018)
This position will be based in Thunder Bay – relocation assistance is available for the successful candidate if they do not currently reside in Thunder Bay.
START DATE & DURATION
- This position will start February 5, 2018.
- The position will be based in Toromont CAT’s Thunder Bay Service & Reman Shop
- The successful candidate will be eligible for a paid co-op placement from February 5, 2018 to May 25, 2018, at which point they will undergo a performance appraisal to ensure suitability to continue in the trade.
- Should the first co-op be successful, the candidate will be eligible for a second co-op from May 28 to September 28, 2018 at which point they will undergo a second performance appraisal to ensure suitability to continue in the trade.
- Should both co-ops be successful, the candidate will be eligible to register as an Apprentice Technician – heavy Equipment with KKETS and continue their placement at Toromont CAT for the duration of their apprenticeship.
This is an excellent opportunity to begin a career in heavy equipment repair. This opportunity requires a high level of commitment from the successful candidate. The duration of the co-op / apprenticeship prior to being eligible for licensing may take up to 5 years to complete.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume to the attention of:
Director Human Resources
Long Lake #58 First Nation (Band Office)
P.O. Box 609, Longlac, ON POT 2A0
Fax: (807) 876-2757
Deadline to apply: Wednesday, January 03, 2017 (4:00 p.m.)
We thank all candidates for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.