Financial Aid, Scholarships and Bursaries

Financial Aid

If you are eligible for money from the band for postsecondary education, please apply for that funding first through Matawa.

For post secondary assistance, students must apply directly to Matawa. Contact:

Georgette O’Nabigon, Post Secondary Coordinator

email: or


call: (807) 768-3300

drop in: Matawa

233 Court Street South  Thunder Bay, ON  P7B 2X9

If the band funding doesn’t cover all of your costs, you can apply for OSAP. When you apply, OSAP will take into account any band funding you receive.


Other Funding Programs

Douglas Legarde Memorial Minor’s Trust

Members can also check to see if they are eligible.

Aboriginal Burseries website

A searchable list of bursaries, scholarships and incentives for Aboriginal students.

Post-Secondary Student Support Program (PSSSP)

Federal government funding for Status Indian and Inuit students enrolled in eligible postsecondary programs.

Metis Student Bursary Program

Funding for Métis students enrolled in postsecondary education. Apply for this funding through the financial aid office, Aboriginal student liaison centre or student support services at your college or university.

Canada Apprenticeship Loan and Canada Apprenticeship Grant

The Canada Apprentice Loan and Canada Apprenticeship Grant are initiatives of the Government of Canada to help you complete your apprenticeship in a designated Red Seal trade.


Indspire is an Indigenous-led registered charity that invests in the education of Indigenous people for the long term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada.

University and College Entrance Preparation Program (UCEPP)

Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC)’s University and College Entrance Preparation Program (UCEPP) provides financial assistance to First Nation and eligible Inuit students enrolled in university or college entrance programs to help them obtain the academic level required to enter a degree or diploma program.

Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) is a special savings account for parents who want to save for their child’s education after high school.